All That Mama Drama!

Welcome to a mommy blog that won't pull any punches, that will say what most moms won't and probably shouldn't, and gives me a forum to vent, rant, gloat and brag shamelessly. What every Mama needs...

Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Shift

I have not made much of a mention about this, because it's so roller-coaster of me that I've almost been rolling my own eyes at myself. But if I take the time to lay my thoughts out, it just might make some sense.

A few weeks back, I sent my resume and writing samples to a local magazine in the hopes of getting a shot to freelance for them. I got an interview, instead, to be an account executive, i.e., sell advertising, for them. I responded with appreciation for the opportunity, and accepted the interview, although I was a little confused. But I came to find out the following about the opportunity: It is very flexible, can be done while the kids are in school, mostly work from home, and I'm able to work out a babysitting exchange, much like I recently suggested for my Examiner column, with a friend of mine. So I decided to take the interview and give it all I've got. It's something that could earn us money, pad our savings, give the kids gymnastics or dance lessons and allow us to pay for Christmas without putting it on a credit card. In these times, being so tight, I can't turn down the chance to be able to do these things for my family. And it's still a connection to a local magazine. The opportunity for networking and learning could prove to be invaluable.

Plus, I might need to finally upgrade my phone to an iPhone for this. OOOOOOOOOH! I absolutely love the thought of an iPhone!

I found a professional-looking black dress. "Where?" you may be asking. "Hanging in my closet!" I respond with glee. I have shoes (remember my jaunt to DSW last fall?), understated jewelry, and tweezers to pluck my brows into shape. I have lots of questions about how the job works and decent answers about why I want to do it. I have directions, a car with a GPS and gas in the tank.

I don't have panty hose. I hate panty hose. I probably need to stop and grab a cheap pair on my way.

Other than that, I think I'm ready.

It has been a long time since I went on an interview. A really long time. I've been shuffling around in jeans and sweatpants for almost seven years, and sometimes I get angry at my choice. As the time is coming for me to return, no, enter, the work force, I have to ask my Facebook friends what to wear to an interview. I don't have answers to these very basic questions because it has not been my life. But then I look at the faces of my kids. And I realize that my choice to stay home was made out of love and I am blessed to have had the option. Truly blessed. My days of being home with them are far from over. But my days of having some room to incorporate a job that will make their lives better are beginning. And I'm still writing, to boot, which is in me. It's just a part of me. It's kind of fun to have stayed on this crazy path and actually be able to see why I've gone where I have and enjoy where I am at this moment.

It really is the journey, isn't it?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home