All That Mama Drama!

Welcome to a mommy blog that won't pull any punches, that will say what most moms won't and probably shouldn't, and gives me a forum to vent, rant, gloat and brag shamelessly. What every Mama needs...

Friday, June 26, 2009

Man Flu

It is real and simultaneously bullshit.

I am rarely ill. And if I am, it's usually because I need surgery of some sort (i.e., my gall bladder is kaput or I have a suspicious lump in a tata.) If I have a cold, I keep going. If I am pregnant and throwing my guts up for nine months, I keep going. I don't have a job that let's me phone in sick days. So...I (say it with me now) KEEP GOING.

All day yesterday I felt sick. Very, very tired. Upset stomach. Terrible headache. Felt like the flu. So what did I do? What any mother does with her three kids on a beautiful day...she throws her ailments in the garbage and takes the kids, with lunches, snacks, drinks, sunscreen and towels to the swim club and proceeds to chase them around for four hours in the hot, hot sun. Why? Because I had to in order to save the kids and myself from a day of misery.

Yes, there are many moms who don't have a swim club to go to and I'm not bitching because "Woe is me, I had to spend my day at the swim club." I'm saying here, that a Daddy who wasn't feeling well would probably call out sick from work and then get into bed for the day. He wouldn't take three kids to the swim club if those three kids were my kids' ages. He wouldn't even do it if he was feeling great.

So last night, I made dinner, got everyone to bed (he helped a bit) and crawled into bed at 8:30 pm. Unheard of! The baby was up a couple of times, I went in once and thought I would die, so the next time I asked him to go in and rock with her. He did, God love him.

I woke up at 5:15 am, got sick, went for a run, worked out, got a shower and continued to feel awful. And after I brought him his cup of coffee in bed (as I do every stinking morning) he says, "Did you get sick this morning?"

"Yep," I replied.

"Yeah, I thought so. I feel awful! Dizzy and nauseous...," he says.

Really? Just like that? You hear me puke, therefore, you feel pukey?

And this is why they call it the Man Flu. Because they're not really sick. They are just so petrified at the thought that the mom might need a day to sleep and puke, that they trump mom by playing the Man Flu card. So we both rallied today, and my rally included schlepping through Wegman's with three kids at 1:00 in the afternoon feeling like I could hurl at any given moment. Good times. Nothing like having to mentally meal plan when everything you look at makes you want to barf.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home